Friday, November 15, 2013

Rodriguez, Arredondo Named Heritage High Athletes of Week

Evan Rodriguez and Bailey Arredondo have some fun with the camera while accepting their Menifee 24/7 Athlete of the Week awards.
Two of the top performers in Heritage High Athletics were honored this week as the Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week.

Evan Rodriguez of the Patriots football team won the award for the second time this fall. The senior tight end had another big game against Elsinore last week, catching four passes, including a touchdown pass, to help Heritage wrap the Sunbelt League title with a 37-14 victory.

"They were stopping the run pretty well and doing some things with their linebackers," he said about the game. "Going into the game, we didn't take them lightly at all. But we have a lot of weapons this year, so we started passing the ball more and opening things up.

"They were keying on Limihai (Hifo) a lot. It kind of freed me up a little bit. I always run my routes like I'm going to get the ball every time, and it worked out. It was a fun game."

Rodriguez has caught 19 passes for 363 yards and 4 touchdowns this season for the Patriots, who are in action tonight against Arlington in the first round of the CIF-SS playoffs.

Sophomore Bailey Arredondo had never played tennis before this year, but she quickly worked her way up to the No. 1 singles spot on the JV team. By the middle of the season, she had joined the varsity team and has a bright future ahead of her the next two years.

"I wasn't very interested in it until my friends suggested it," said Arredondo, who previously played soccer. "I ended up really loving the sport so I stopped playing all other sports to be committed to tennis."

Although her season is over, Arredondo continues to practice with the team and is working on improving her game for next year.

"I want to work on my forehand and my serve," she said. "I'm just having fun."




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading