Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Four Heritage High Softball Players Sign Letters of Intent

Four standout players from the Heritage High softball team signs letters of intent as family members look on.
The success of the Heritage High School softball program became evident again today, when four members of the team signed national letters of intent to accept college scholarships.

Students, parents and friends packed the school's theater to hear the announcement and cheer on the four standout players:

Lexi Blevins, University of Tulsa: The Patriots' top pitcher, Blevins posted a 12-6 record with a 1.37 ERA and 145 strikeouts.

"I always wanted to go to a university in the south," she said. "I have family out there; it was a perfect fit.

"Signing now is a stress reliever. Now I can just focus on my senior year. I want to work on getting stronger and faster with my pitching."

Blevins also considered Ohio State and UMass. She plans to study to be a veterinarian.


Nichole Chilson, Arizona State University: An outfielder for the Patriots, Chilson was the team's leading hitter with a .500 batting average, 10 doubles and 28 RBIs.

"I originally made a verbal (agreement) to Ball State, but the head coach moved to Arizona State and he offered me a scholarship there," Chilson said. "I'm ready to go to college. I'm ready for the move."

Like Blevins, Chilson hopes to become a veterinarian.



Jordan Sage, York College (Nebraska): A pitcher, Sage had an 8-3 record last spring with two shutouts. She also hit .311 on the season.

"I have a best friend who went to York," she said. "It's a private school with a small Christian community. I like that."

Asked what it means to have four players from the same team sign college scholarships so early in their season year, Sage had a simple answer:

"We must have a good team," she said with a smile.


Juliet Eaton, Austin Peay (Tenn.) State University: Eaton, a first baseman and third baseman, was one of the team's most effective hitters. She batted .438 with 3 home runs, 4 doubles and 24 RBIs.

"I also visited Montana State, St. Louis and  Humboldt State," she said. "I fell in love with Austin Peay, the school, the college town ... I just love the setting."

Eaton plans to study kinesiology so she can learn to help student-athletes with their nutrition needs.

Last spring, the Patriots softball team was 20-9 overall and 13-2 in the Sunbelt League. That level of success, along with the national recognition of players such as these, continues to add to the program's reputation.

"This is huge," said Patriots softball coach Angela Ramiro. "I'd like to think I had some part of it, but I know a lot of it is the hard work the players did on their own over the years. They're all very committed. They're amazing young ladies. We think this is our year to take CIF."











0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading