Friday, November 1, 2013

Heritage High Athletes of the Week: Lepro, Scharer, Fowler

Heritage High School Athletes of the Week, from left: Alejandro Lepro, Simoriah Scharer, Zahria Fowler.
Standout athletes in football, tennis and volleyball make up this week's group of Heritage High School Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week.

Senior offensive lineman Alejandro Lepro had a big game against Paloma Valley, helping to anchor the offense in a 48-25 victory.

"I feel like I played one of my best games against Paloma," he said. "I was able to execute to help our running backs do what they had to do."

Lepro, who is considering a career in the Marines after graduation, said the hype surrounding the Menifee Bowl is a great motivating factor.

"I did feel the competition part of it because it's such a big rivalry," he said. "It's pretty important for us on the line to keep our quarterback safe, and anyone behind us."

Junior Simoriah Scharer has made a smooth transition to tennis, a new sport for her. After a knee injury interrupted her cross country career, she found that tennis would enable her to continue in athletics. She is excelling in doubles for the Patriots.

"I found out I needed knee surgery if I continued in cross country," she said. "I moved on to tennis. I was taught about tennis the last week of school last year and just jumped into it. My doubles partner is a girl I've known since I was 6. We work really together."

Scharer and her teammates are preparing for CIF postseason competition, which begins on Tuesday.

Zahria Fowler, just a sophomore, has taken on the important position of libero for the Patriots' volleyball team. Her versatility has been a key to the team's success.

"Libero is a really important position," Fowler said. "If the setter doesn't get the second ball, it's my ball to get. It's my first year playing libero. I really like it."

"I've definitely improved as passer," added Fowler, whose team is in second place in the Sunbelt League. "I'm really short, 5-2, but I've worked hard and I'm so much better at passing and communicating now."




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading