Friday, November 1, 2013

Paloma High Athletes of Week: Offerman, Valencia, Gray

Paloma Valley High School Athletes of the Week, from left: Shannon Offerman, Michael Valencia, Madison Gray.
Three Paloma Valley High School athletes having outstanding seasons have been honored this week with Menifee 24/7 Athlete of the Week awards.

Senior volleyball player Shannon Offerman set a school record with nine blocks in a five-game match victory over Temescal Canyon.

"They have a lot of really good hitters," Offerman said about Temescal Canyon. "I'm a pretty good blocker, I think, so I just have to figure out where they're going to hit and judge the shot."

Offerman, a right side blocker, focuses on defense in using her 6-foot-2 height to her advantage for Paloma Valley, which is one of the top teams in the Sunbelt League.

Senior football player Michael Valencia has been one of the top players on offense and defense for the Wildcats, who are 7-1 this season. One of his top peformances came two weeks ago against Perris, when he caught four passes for 86 yards and a touchdown. He also had two interceptions on defense.

For the season, Valencia has 24 receptions for 447 yards and 12 touchdowns. He teams with senior quarterback Brent Boehm to create an effective offensive threat.

"I grew up with him," Valencia said. "I've known him since third grade. It's like playing with your best friend. It's fun. We have a connection on the field and it got stronger in passing league during the summer."

Sophomore Madison Gray began the year playing doubles on the Wildcats' JV girls tennis team. Her improvement has earned her a spot on the varsity team as a singles player. She says she enjoys the challenge of playing singles.

"I like singles," said Gray, who never played tennis before last year. "I don't have to rely on anyone. Every shot that I miss, that's all on me. It's a nice change."

With two years of varsity tennis ahead of her, Gray is focusing on areas of improvement.

"I just need to get harder shots," she said. "That's one thing I struggle with. I don't have a lot of power. But I'm working on it."





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading