Friday, November 22, 2013

Palmer, Taoete Named Heritage High Athletes of the Week

Matt Palmer and Dayanerrah Taoete pose with their Menifee 24/7 Athlete of the Week award certificates.
Two of Heritage High School's most consistent athletes this fall have been honored as the Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week.

Senior defensive back Matt Palmer has been one of the leaders of the Patriots' defense all year long. He had one of his biggest games of the season in last week's 21-7 playoff win over Arlington, intercepting three passes. That gives him seven for the season.

The week before, in a victory over Elsinore, Palmer had two interceptions. He appears to be peaking at just the right time.

"I'm just doing my job as a DB," he said. "It's just getting into my zone and looking for the ball. Sometimes it's being in the right place at the right time, too.

"Last year was my first year playing DB ever. Before that, I was just a receiver. That helps me now as a DB because I know what receivers like to do. That gives me an advantage."

Senior outside hitter Dayanerrah Taoete just completed an impressive season for the volleyball team. She was a steadying influence for the team, which came together under new coach Lindsey Sappington.

"I've learned a lot from our new coach," Taoete said. "I can definitely use those things in club."

Taoete hopes to continue her career in college, so she will play a full season of club volleyball through July.

"In club, you face better competition," she said. "Those are the people who are really serious about going on. I'm looking forward to it."

Taoete said her highlight of the season was when the Patriots beat crosstown rival Paloma Valley for the first time ever.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading