Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Five Standouts Honored as Paloma Valley Athletes of the Week

From left: Andy Galvan, Jeremiah Von Moos, Christopher Owens, Vanessa Banuelos, Crystal Chhan.
Five oustanding student-athletes have been selected as Paloma Valley High School's representatives as the Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week for the week ending Jan. 25.

Senior wrestler Jeremiah Von Moos moved up in weight from 126 pounds to 145 for a dual match against Heritage last week. He came back from a 10-2 deficit to win by a pin and help seal the Wildcats' 39-33 victory.

"I was going for big moves, going for the pin," Von Moos said. "It just wasn't working out, but in the third period I ended up going big again and I pinned him. It was a pretty big win."

Von Moos has been wrestling since the sixth grade. Last year he was Sunbelt League champion at 113 pounds. He leads the team into league finals this Saturday.

Senior midfielder Andy Galvan has played several different positions for the boys soccer team. He has scored six goals for the Wildcats, who are one of the top teams in the Sunbelt League.

"Andy plays the game with skill, hustle and teamwork," said his coach, Ramon Benz. "He has come through for our team by scoring big goals when needed. Andy is a leader on and off the field, speaking up to players and coaches in an appropriate, produce manner. He is truly an impact player for our program."

Sophomore Crystal Chhan is in her second year with the JV girls basketball team and is developing the potential to one day join the varsity squad. She maintains above a 4.0 GPA and is learning the game quickly, said her coach, Romeo Galbreath.

"I just got into it last year," Chhan said. "I was always interested in basketball and I wanted to play a sport. I'm still learning the rules, though. I used to just play on the playground."

Senior center and power forward Chris Owens is the leading scorer for the boys basketball team and a steadying influence for a team that is still in search of its first league win. He hopes to continue his career at the college level.

"Personally, I've been asserting myself as a leader," he said. "We have been going through a rough patch. We have a lot of young guys, so sometimes it's hard for us to bounce back after a loss. I'm trying to play a leader's role and help the other guys."

Junior defender Vanessa Banuelos is a standout for the girls soccer team. Coach Marie Dillon considers Banuelos her "secret weapon," because she is sometimes inserted as goalkeeper when the starting goalie is added to the offensive lineup.

Banuelos helped out in that position last week in a scoreless tie with Temescal Canyon -- which followed three straight wins in league.

"She is the ultimate team player who works hard and never complains," Dillon said.

"I've played soccer since I was 4," Banuelos said. I've played all the positions, but I'm most comfortable being a defender."




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading