Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Heritage Athletes of the Week: Castellanos, Marquez, Chilson

Heritage High School Athletes of the Week (from left): Alejandro Castellanos, Caleb Marquez, Nicole Chilson.
Alejandro Castellanos, Caleb Marquez and Nicole Chilson have been honored as the Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week for Heritage High School.

In last week's Sunbelt League cross country meet on the three-mile course at Paloma High, Alejandro Castellanos finished third among all runners with a time of 16:13. The senior is in his third year on varsity and has a personal best time of 15:35, established in the Bulldog Invitational in Hemet last year.

"My goal this year is to get under 15," Castellanos said.

Castellanos worked hard in training during the summer, running miles through open fields near his home. He continues to build endurance during the season. Every Monday, he and his teammates run a half-marathon in training.

"We're out there in the dirt and hills," he said. "I want to succeed and help the school look good."

Caleb Marquez had a big game at strong guard on the offensive line for the Patriots' football team Friday night in a narrow loss to Great Oak. In addition, he came into the game on defense in the closing minutes and made a major impact.

After making tackles on second- and third-down plays, Marquez blocked a punt on fourth down, keeping the game close.

"They put me at nose guard, which I don't normally play," Marquez said. "But they told me I would be a utility player on defense, so I could end up anywhere, and I have to be ready. I noticed there was some really big splits in their line, so I decided to try to get in there."

Marquez, who hopes to earn a football scholarship to play in college, said he is excited about the team's 3-1 start this year.

"We're doing fantastic," he said. "We just need to get started sooner in the game and stay consistent."

Nicole Chilson is the No. 1 singles player for Heritage's girls tennis team this fall. She won both her matches Tuesday in the team's first league match, a shutout victory over Perris. Chilson is captain of the team in her senior year.

She credits much of her success to an improved backhand shot.

"Last year I would avoid the backhand, but now I don't," she said. "Now I have a backhand slice that spins away from you."

Heritage, which is one of the favorites to win the league title, will play host to Temescal Canyon on Thursday.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading