Thursday, May 22, 2014

Atkins, Eaton Named Menifee 24/7 Athletes of the Week


Track standout Torrey Atkins and softball star Juliet Eaton were honored by Menifee 24/7 as Athletes of the Week for their postseason accomplishments at Heritage High School.

Atkins is the only representative of the Patriots' track program still competing this spring. He finished first in the 110-meter high hurdles (14.26) and in the 300 intermediate hurdles (38.93) at the CIF Southern Section prelims May 17 at Trabuco Hills High School. With those efforts, he qualified for the CIF Finals May 24 at Cerritos College.

Last year, Atkins' season ended at the CIF Finals. His goal this spring is to finish in the top nine, qualifying for the CIF Masters Meet the following week. Top qualifiers there advance to the state meet.

Atkins' speciality is the 110 high hurdles, where his personal best is 14.1. He's hoping to do even better than that to ensure he advances against top-notch competition on Saturday.

"I want to get into the 13s," Atkins said about his goal for a time this weekend. "I'm tired of running in the 14s. The 300 hurdles, I'm not serious about it until I get in the blocks. The 110 is my favorite. I know I'm going against the best athletes."

Eaton had a huge day Tuesday in the Patriots softball team's 10-0 victory at Arroyo High in the first round of the CIF playoffs. The senior first baseman hit three home runs on consecutive at-bats -- nearly doubling her season total.

"After the third one, my teammates didn't even walk out to greet me," Eaton said with a laugh. "They just bowed down and asked me to sign their bats."

Eaton said she and her teammates are confident about the team's ability to advance further in the playoffs. The Patriots are at home against Garden Grove today.

"We have a lot of momentum," Eaton said about the Patriots, whose overall record is 18-10 overall. "Our team chemistry is great."




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Loading